Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kopi Talk Swensen’s breakfast - a delightful start to the day!

I really love Western-styled breakfasts.

Thanks Gabriel for the article
Although I rarely get up in time to have breakfast (and the days that I do usually mean I spend my mornings rushing to school for lessons), there’s nothing in the morning I love more than to scarf down a breakfast set from McDonalds. So, last Friday (which was a public holiday but I was awake due to a wake-up-early-to-study attempt), I gamely trudged along with my friends to Swensen’s breakfast, which came highly recommended from one of them, before I would start my day’s studying.

I had a Creamy Scrambled Eggs set which came with two cheese sausages, French toast, creamy mushrooms, a hash brown, a grilled tomato and, of course, a hearty serving of the titular scrambled eggs (the meal also came with two servings of drinks - I chose a glass of cold orange juice and a cup of warm tea).
While the grilled tomato was a bit of an oddball and had a disgustingly mushy texture, the other components of the meal were fine servings, if not fantastic. The cheese sausages were chewy and solid, although a tad small, the hash brown had a similarly full bite (and was markedly less greasy than its McDonalds counterpart) and the creamy mushrooms were chewy and tasty but thankfully, not jelak (overwhelming). The scrambled eggs were unremarkable but provided a decent complement to the rest of the meal.

The best part of the meal, though, was definitely the French toast, which looked more like a hardened taupok (tofu-skin with fish filling) or tofu piece than bread. It was a hearty serving, surprisingly grease- and oil-free and packed a fragrant punch. Plus, it went unbelievably well with the maple syrup provided. Definitely a must-try and I spent the whole meal seething in jealousy at a friend who had astutely chosen a French toast set (that came with two pieces).
While the Swensen’s breakfast dishes (or at least the ones that my friends and I tried) aren’t the best I have ever had, at the prices they came at (none of our meals priced for above S$8) and considering the generous amount of decent food we were offered, it was definitely worth the price.
Rating: 3.75 out of 5 stars
Available at all Swensen’s but only on weekends and public holidays.