Saturday, January 30, 2010

Kopi Talk - No junk food for us please

Hi Jacob Thanks for sending the article to me.

Mathew Pereira takes extreme measures when it comes to certain food items.
'Anyone who has bought the Alce Nero Organic Whole Wheat Biscuits 'Frollini Con Farina Integrale Biologica' (350g) from Italy, with the best-before date of Jan 23, 2009, should throw them away.
The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) said in a statement yesterday that importers and retailers have been told to recall that particular batch immediately. This follows an alert from the European Commission that the biscuits have been found to contain high levels of peroxide; 'an indication of degraded food quality which may result in rancidity, deterioration in taste and flavour', the AVA said.
Those with queries can call the AVA hotline on 1800-226-2250.'

I could just be flippant and tell you what deadly news you are missing if you just catch the news headlines off TV or radio. It is frightening to think how easily one could miss such a report and merrily continue munching on stuff like that. My son is convinced that the stomach problems he continues to have is due to the melamine-tainted milk he was taking on a daily basis before the news on China's milk scandal broke.

What can we do about it? If you believe in extreme measures, read on. I have some very strict rules in my home and my friends think I am crazy.

Products from some countries are allowed in my home so long as they are used for scrubbing, washing, waxing, etc, but food products from these countries are banned. So, anything that goes into our mouths should not come from the blacklisted countries. I exaggerate only a little, but I assure you, I follow this rule quite rigidly.

When my youngest son was on a trip abroad with his school, he bought a product in a flavour which could not be found in Singapore. He was so excited he actually called me and told me about his find and its purchase.

He was told to flip to the label and check where it was made and promptly ordered to dump it. Then, even I thought I was being unreasonable but not now.

The melamine scare, I notice, has done one thing for my family: they (yes, they. I don't eat junk stuff) have all stopped eating the rubbish biscuits, cookies, wafers they used to. With the economy the way it is and everyone in fat- and cost-cutting mode, it is not necessarily a bad thing.

No comments: