Saturday, July 31, 2010

News Update British author's case adjourned

'Whatever they do to me, it will prove whatever I say in my book,' Shadrake (left) told reporters outside the court after the hearing. 'I'm not a wimp, I'm not a coward. I want to have my day in court... I'm not running away. If I run away, it means I'm guilty.' -- ST PHOTO: AZIZ HUSSIN


BRITISH freelance journalist Alan Shadrake made his first appearance in a Singapore court on Friday since making the headlines for his arrest over a book he wrote about the death penalty in Singapore.
But the proceedings, to cite Mr Shadrake for contempt of court, by attacking the independence of the Singapore judiciary, was adjourned for at least three weeks.
This was after Mr Shadrake's lawyer, Mr M. Ravi, sought more time, saying he wanted to file affidavits from the sources that his client had consulted for his book.
Senior Counsel David Chong, from the Attorney-General's Chambers, objected.
In the end, Justice Quentin Loh allowed Mr Shadrake to file an affidavit in two weeks, with the AGC given another week to reply.
The judge said if Mr Ravi wanted to file affidavits from other parties, he could make an urgent application.
Separately, Mr Shadrake is being investigated for criminal defamation and his passport has been impounded by the police.
Mr Shadrake, who is staying with some friends in Sembawang, said he was not running away. 'I'm not a wimp, I'm not a coward, I want to have my day in court.'