Friday, March 11, 2011

News Update S'pore-Manila ties: Strong and growing


By Ben Nadarajan


TRADE and tourism between Singapore and the Philippines are booming, and prospects for an even better showing in the years ahead are bright.
President S R Nathan, speaking at a state banquet for visiting Philippine President Benigno Aquino at the Istana last night, called for more collaborations between the two countries, pointing out that Singapore was the Philippines' fourth-largest trading partner last year.
Mr Aquino, in his speech in front of about 100 guests including ministers, business leaders and diplomats, reciprocated, saying bilateral ties would grow, and added that his country has much to learn from Singapore's success.
'My visit here has reaffirmed my belief that any nation, governed by leaders focused on the other rather than the self, is limited only by the imagination,' he said.
'Every Singaporean has been empowered to fulfil his or her potential, and I believe that the same potential holds true for my own people. You made me realise that we can someday achieve.'
Before raising a toast to a more prosperous Asean, he said: 'I intend to lead my countrymen on a path to progress, and I am grateful for your example of what can be achieved.