DAVAO CITY -- Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said on Sunday that most criminals operating in the city are now under surveillance.
Duterte, in his weekly television program “Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa”, also advised those who have had many police records to leave Davao.
"Kadto bang mga batan-on kaniadto nga dagko na karon, labaw na kadtong naay daghang record, I will advise you to leave Davao… kamong tanan gina-surveillance namo. (The minors before who are now adults, especially those who have had many police records, I advise you to leave Davao… you all are under surveillance," Duterte said.
Two weeks ago, Duterte also warned criminals that surrendering to the authorities will be futile as their lives will nevertheless end violently.
He said their only option is to fight for their life.
"Ako makasabot sa inyoha, ayaw na lang gyud mog surrender kay tiwasan lang gihapon 'ta mo. (I understand you, but don't even think of surrendering because I will finish you off)," Duterte said.
A few days after the warning, two alleged criminals died in a shootout with authorities, while four others were arrested, including the suspects in the robbery-slay of 23-year-old nurse Marjorie Kwan and the shooting of a 16-year-old girl, and two minors, one of whom was surrendered to the police by his father.
Davao City Police Office Director Ronald dela Rosa declared the twin cases as solved after the filing of charges against the suspects.
Duterte, meanwhile, opposed the plan of the City Government to implement a one-month gun ban in the city in preparation for the weeklong Araw ng Davao celebration.
He reminded Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio that no gun ban could prevent criminals from bringing their unlicensed firearms.
He said if the City Government would really push for a month-long gun ban, it might better implement an indefinite gun ban and see for itself how criminals would lord over the city during the gun-ban period.
Last week, the City Peace and Order Council headed by Duterte-Carpio passed a resolution seeking approval from the Philippine National Police (PNP) for the implementation of a month-long gun ban in Davao City.
As of this posting Sunday, the PNP National Directorate has still not acted on the City Government's request.
If approved, this will be the first time that such a gun ban, outside of the election period, would be implemented in the city. (Sun.Star Davao)