Wednesday, June 16, 2010

News update Church pastor says sorry

By Yen Feng

THE Christian pastor whose mocking remarks about Taoism were posted online last week issued a personal apology yesterday after calls from the Taoist Federation for him to show more contrition.

Last night, New Creation Church pastor Mark Ng, 48, issued a statement to The Straits Times for what he described as a 'serious indiscretion'.

He said: 'In my zeal to explain the various aspects of Chinese culture and traditions in the context of teachings in the Bible, I failed to observe the basic tenet of Christianity, which is founded on love for one and all.

'I have been reprimanded and counselled by my church leaders and would like to give everyone my full assurance that this will not happen again.

'I humbly appeal to those whom I've offended to forgive me for this serious indiscretion.'

His remarks came after Taoist Federation chairman Tan Thiam Lye said that an apology posted on the New Creation church's website on Mr Ng's behalf on Sunday was not good enough.