Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kopi talk Modesto’s - not so modest pizzas

Hi Gabriel thanks for the article ------------yummy

I love pizzas (although, if you’ve been faithfully following my posts, and for that I applaud you, I seem to love everything). Every time my friends come over to my place for a bout of gaming, gooey cheesy goodness is always on the dinner menu.

Thus, because home delivered pizza has been such a staple in my social activities, I’ve always been hesitant to order pizzas at non-Fast-Food dining outlets, preferring instead to try other dishes I don’t get to eat so often. Still, when my friends brought me to the Modesto’s at Vivocity and insisted I share the outlet’s signature 20-inch pizza with them, promising a good eat, I readily agreed. After all, how often does one get to partake of a pizza as big as the Lazy Susan on my home dining table?

The three of us shared the 20-inch pizza, a basic cheese, tomato and basil one which we topped with Italian pork parma ham topping. For those who don’t really eat pizzas very often or who are not sure about how inches work, the pizza is basically a monster so large that it had to be served on a separate stand instead of on our table itself. To put it in perspective, the largest pizzas usually found at places such as Pizza Hut or Canadian Pizza are around the 12-inch region.


The pizza was not only big on size (the photos here don’t even begin to do it justice) but big on taste as well. The cheese was smooth and chewy, strong without being overwhelming, while the tomato and basil provided perfect complements for a terrific complete taste. The parma ham was a perfect topping, the salty, generously sliced pieces of pork providing a delightful punch and oomph to the overall flavor of the pizza.

The thin, crispy crust, baked to just the right hardness, meant that, despite its heft, the pizza wasn’t a starch overload and three of us were sufficiently filled but thankfully did not leave the restaurant feeling bloated.

Of course, the restaurant is also (apparently) famous for its other Italian offerings, large servings of pasta amongst them, but, at $35 for the basic pizza and $14 for the parma ham topping (which was considered a premium; there are more basic toppings at $8 each), making the final product slightly over $50 for three people, their 20-inch provides the biggest bang for the buck.

Definitely a must-try at Vivocity and, for those who don’t like to wait in long lines during weekend peak hours, Modesto’s was surprisingly queue free. 





No comments: